There are many Christian apologists that often like to say that Jesus, unlike Muhammad (peace be upon them both) never raised the sword, that Jesus unlike Muhammad (pbub) never went into battle, and never participated in wars. And without really elaborating more, they conclude that due to this, this makes Jesus more superior than Muhammad (pbub) and somehow more truthful and worthy of being followed.
Now as mentioned, they don’t really give a coherent reason for coming to such a conclusion, after all, there is no set criteria, that states that if someone is a pacifist and hasn’t taken part in war, is more superior-truthful than someone who has. In fact no set criteria even exists according to the Bible, so Christian apologists have merely invented this themselves, and this alone is enough to ignore their argument.
If we were to follow the set criteria, then their own God Yahweh, and major biblical figures and prophets, such as Moses, David, and so on all stand condemned. Moses and David, under the orders of their God Yahweh (the God these same Christian apologists believe in) went into several battles and wars. In fact their battles and wars were far more extreme and brutal than anything the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and his Muslim community took part in. In the biblical wars, entire towns and cities are slaughtered by the sword, with the women, children, and the elderly all being shown no mercy. So if we are to use the standard of these Christian apologists, then their own book stands condemned, and is therefore less true, and less superior to pacifist figures.
Now back to the main point at hand, is someone superior than somebody else because the former hasn’t lifted a sword or taken part in wars and battles? Off course not, again, there is no such set criteria that exists anywhere, Christian apologists have merely invented such a criteria. In the case of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and the early Muslim community, they were fully justified and well within their rights to raise the sword, and to take part in war.
For 13 years, the Muslims and the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) did not lift a sword, they took their oppression with patience, this oppression included having Muslims killed, tortured, abused (physically-verbally), and forced to emigrate because of the oppression against them at the hands of the pagans. Eventually, after 13 years of enduring this oppression, on account of their faith, the Muslims were finally given the right to fight back. How is this wrong? The Muslim community were defending themselves, against their oppressors, who had oppressed the Muslims on account of their faith.
Nobody looks at the oppressed, and then says ‘oh how evil they are for fighting their oppressors’, so this doesn’t in anyway make the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) lesser or less truthful, or less worthy of being followed than Jesus (pbuh).
Now as we had mentioned, when the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) did go to war, his methods were nowhere near as brutal or extreme as what we find in the Bible, so how can Christian apologists condemned the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) for his wars, and yet stand and praise/believe in their God who ordered Moses and others to annihilate entire towns and cities, putting everybody (including women and children) to the sword?
To the rational mind, this makes no sense whatsoever, and simply exposes the intellectual bankruptcy of such Christian apologists. They won’t even flinch at the verses in the Bible that talk about putting everybody to the sword, but when the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) finally decides to fight back after 13 years of oppression, and fights in a way that doesn’t even come close to what we find in the Bible, they suddenly lose their minds and act like the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) has committed the most heinous act you can think of.
On to the point of Jesus and violence, while Jesus didn’t lift a sword during his ministry, which only lasted 3 years after it was ended by force, which makes it quite a stretch to try and argue he was a complete pacifist, he was never in a position to raise the sword. But nonetheless, while Jesus didn’t raise the sword during his lifetime, it certainly isn’t going to be that way when he returns, something all Christian apologists believe in, known as Jesus’ second coming. When Jesus does return, coming in the clouds, he will certainly not be a pacifist, and will come with a sword, bringing destruction and death upon those who opposed (i.e. those who aren’t his followers) him.
So Christian apologists are being very deceptive and sly when they only talk about the pacifist Jesus who was preaching for 3 years (and didn’t have the opportunity to raise the sword and fight). That’s not the complete picture or story, it continues with his return, and when he returns, one can say it’s no more Mr. nice guy. So by their own invented standards and criteria, Jesus isn’t worthy of being followed, because he’s going to use acts of violence when he returns, but as we mentioned, these Christian apologists are intellectually bankrupt, so expect to hear them come up with every excuse in the book to try and justify Jesus’ violence during his second coming.
Categories: Christianity, Islam, Responses to anti-Islamic Polemics
Mahatma Gandhi, statement published in “Young India”, 1924:
“I wanted to know the best of the life of one who holds today an undisputed sway over the hearts of millions of mankind…
I became more than ever convinced that it was not the sword that won a place for Islam in those days in the scheme of life.
It was the rigid simplicity,
the utter self-effacement of the Prophet the scrupulous regard for pledges, his intense devotion to his friends and followers, his intrepidity, his fearlessness, his absolute trust in God and in his own mission.
These and not the sword carried everything before them and surmounted every obstacle.
When I closed the second volume (of the Prophet’s biography), I was sorry there was not more for me to read of that great life.”
An excellent exposition!
What comparison could there be in terms of military undertaking between a head of a persecuted community that was declared war (Muhammad at Medina) and just a civilian citizen of a nation (Jesus in his first-coming)?!
imitaz ahmed it doesn’t matter what gandhi said he was the sympathiser of Muslims and wanted the indian subcontinent to be united and not fighting I can give you many statements by great people which shows islam is not religion for modern times and as for this article I don’t know which Christian apologist say this but what i know they do say jesus is teaching is better and more peaceful than Muhammad his teaching had some influence on gandhi, martin luther king and nelson mandela and Christians already say he was the greatest figure in whole bible and Muhammad was not persecuted straight away he was given warning because they saw he is one of them and the meccans were right from their own perspective as Arabia was already poor bad place to live and they were making a living from their religion but Muhammad wanted to change all that for some unknown reasons which the meccans didn’t think wouldn’t benefit them the muslims lived in mecca for many years despite Muhammad was trying to get more followers which shows the meccans were tolerant than muslims make them out them and yaweh telling Israelites to remove all cities was only for promise land or another tribe in very few instances have Jews killed all inhabitants even the muslims believed god gave the jews the promised land and Jesus could have raised the sword and peter wanted to raise the sword jesus told him not to in Matthew 26:52 Christians have already exposed Islam and some of the articles on here are just attempts by muslims to fool other muslims
Yeah, whatever LOL By writing all that nonsense you just once again exposed your christian intellectual bankruptcy.
I dont know which version of bible you read and what you mean be Christians have exposed Islam. John it is obvious you have know knowledge of Christianity let alone that of Islam, I will appreciate if you can pick up your bible right now and check what Master Jesus said in “Luke 19 vs 27” “But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and kill them before me”. We as Muslims can not because of that fact label our Master Jesus as a violence preacher but rather we objectively focus on the circumstances motives that necessitate it. In case you are not aware, Holy prophet Muhammad happened to be the kindest and the most compassionate human being ever lived on the surface of the Earth. There are many facts to support his magnanimity but i will like to point out the one that was documented by both Muslims and Christians;
In 628 AD, a delegation from St. Catherine’s Monastery came to Prophet Muhammed and requested his protection. He responded by granting them a charter of rights, which is translated below in its entirety.
St. Catherine’s Monastery is located at the foot of Mt. Sinai and is the world’s oldest monastery. It possesses a huge collection of Christian manuscripts, second only to the Vatican, and is a world heritage site. It also boasts the oldest collection of Christian icons. It is a treasure house of Christian history that has remained safe for 1400 years under Muslim protection.
The Promise to St. Catherine:
“This is a message from Prophet Muhammad Son of Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them.
Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them.
No compulsion is to be on them. Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries. No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims’ houses.
Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God’s covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate.
No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight. The Muslims are to fight for them. If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray. Their churches are to be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants.
No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant till the Last Day (end of the world).”
That was the charter of right granted group of Christian that came to the Prophet
I know Islam very well and Luke 19 verse 27 is parable not literal and what you said about delegation is false this is false for monks to get favourability from the Muslims so that later Muslim rulers may treat them nicely because Muhammad said but the truth is Muhammad and Islam is not religion of peace neither true religion
I believe if it comes to superiority between these two, Jesus would be superior based on what the quran says about him and how little it says of muhammed.
THIS IS HOW LITTLE QURAN SAYS ABOUT PROPHET MYHAMMED PEACE BE ON HIM
HIS EXALTED STATUS
1. He is Nur (Sacred Light) (5:15)
2. Allah blesses him (33:56)
3. Mercy for all the worlds (21:107)
4. His name is Muhammad (Meaning the Most Praised One) (47:2)
5. Allah has exalted his Zikr (remembrance) (94:4)
6. His exaltation on the Night of Mi’raj (53:8-9)
7. His Station of Praise (Al-Maqam al-Mahmud) (17:79)
THE BELOVED OF ALLAH
1. If you want to gain the love of Allah, follow him (3:31)
2. Allah addresses him with love and affection (20:1) (36:1) (73:1) (74:1)
3. Allah says: Realise that My Prophetic Messenger himself is with you (49:7)
4. Allah describes him with His Own Attributes of Rauf (Most Kind) and Rahim (Merciful) (9:128)
5. Allah Himself praises him (33:45-47)
6. Possessor of Allah’s Grace (4:113)
7. He is a special favour of Allah Sub’hanahu wa Ta’ala (3:164)
8. Allah does not punish people if he is in their midst (8:33)
9. Allegiance to him is allegiance to Allah (48:10)
HE RECEIVED THE HOLY QUR’AN
1. Allah gave him Surah al-Fatiha and the whole Qur’an (15:87)
2. Totally inspired (53:3-4)
3. Allah revealed the Noble Qur’an on his blessed heart (26:192-197)
4. The first revelation he received (96:1)
5. Teaches the Holy Qur’an and Hadith Shareef (Wisdom) and purifies people (62:2)
AMONG THE PROPHETS ‘Alayhimussalam
1. The Final Prophet, Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam (33:40)
2. Mentioned first among the greatest Prophets, ‘Alayhimussalam (33:7) (4:163)
3. A Prophet with proven prophecies (30:1-6) (48:1) (48:27) (61:13)
4. Given the knowledge of the unseen (3:179)
5. Nabi Ibrahim ‘Alayhissalam prayed for his coming (2:129)
6. Foretold by Nabi ‘Isa (Jesus) ‘Alayhissalam (61:6)
7. Allah asks all Prophets to believe in him (3:81)
8. Confirms the previous (Prophetic) Messengers of Allah (37:37)
HIS EXEMPLARY CHARACTER
1. Most examplary character (33:21) (68:4)
2. Sadiq (Truthful) (33:22)
3. Final judge and arbiter (4:65) (24:51)
4. Honoured, noble (69: 40)
5. Forgiving (7:199)
6. He is Burhan (Clear Proof) (4:175)
7. Brave: Commands Muslims in battle (3:121)
1. Established the correct Message of Islam (6:161-163) (39:11-12)
2. Preacher to all humanity (4:170) (25:1) (34:28)
3. He is Bashir and Nadhir (Bearer of glad tidings and a warner) (5:19)
4. Invites people to Islam (12:108)
5. Even the jinn respond to his call (46:29-31)
6. He brought the truth (17:81) (39:33)
7. A perfect guide to be followed (7:158)
8. He brought a new law (Shari’a) (7:157)
9. He calls you to that which gives you life (8:24)
10. Brings people from darkness into light (65:11)
11. His religion prevails over all religion (48:28)
HIS BLESSED HOUSEHOLD AND COMPANIONS, Rady Allahu ‘Anhum
1. His Houshold purified by Allah Sub’hanahu wa Ta’ala (33:33)
2. His companions praised by Allah Sub’hanahu wa Ta’ala (48:29)
3. His companions: The Muhajirin and the Ansar (8:74) (9:100) (59:8-9)
4. His companions swear allegiance to him (48:18)
BELIEVE, ASSIST, HONOUR, LOVE, RESPECT AND OBEY HIM
1. Believe, assist and honour him (48:9) (61:11)
2. Love Allah and His Beloved Prophet more than anything else (9:24)
3. He is closer to the believers than their ownselves (33:6)
4. Respect him (49:1-3)
5. Obey Allah Ta’ala and His Beloved Prophet Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam (3:132) (4:13) (4:59) (4:69) (4:80) (9:71) (24:52) (24:54) (24:56) (33:71) (49:14) (64:12)
6. Follow the commands of Allah Sub’hanahu wa Ta’ala and of His Beloved Prophet Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa Sallam (33:36)
7. Whatever he gives you, take it (59:7)
8. The reward of believing in him (57:28)
WAGED JIHAD AMIDST PERSECUTION
1. Non-believers plot to kill him (8:30)
2. His persecution (22:39-40)
3. Commanded to fight alone for Allah Sub’hanahu wa Ta’ala (4:84)
4. He led Muslims in prayer while in battle (4:102)
5. Allah asks him to seek peace (8:61)
6. Allah helped him in Jihad (33:9)
7. Allah made him victorious (110:1)
1. Living miracle: The Holy Qur’an (2:23) (17:88) (52:34)
2. Human miracle: he changed people’s hearts (5:83)
3. Heavenly miracle: Isra’ and Mi’raj (17:1) (53:8-18)
4. Historic miracle: Hijra; escaped while surrounded (9:40)
5. The miracle of the Battle of Badr: Victory against all odds (3:123-125)
6. The splitting of the moon (54:1-2)
1. Allah appointed him as an intercessor to plead for people’s forgiveness (3:159) (4:64) (60:12)
2. An accepted intercessor (19:87) (20:109)
3. His prayers a solace for hearts (9:103)